What is Calvary Church?
Calvary Church is an independent, evangelical Bible church located in Valparaiso, IN. We are committed to spreading the Word about Jesus Christ throughout Northwest Indiana and the world. Some distinctives that set Calvary apart from other churches include:
Contemporary worship without compromising biblical theology
Relevant, expository preaching
Discipleship through small groups
A passion to win as many as possible to Christ
A commitment to overseas missions
Changing Lives Forever Throughout Northwest Indiana and The World
- Word Hearing and applying God’s WORD. (II Timothy 4:2; James 1:22-25)
- We believe the Scriptures are inspired, authoritative and powerful (II Timothy 3:16-17; Hebrews 4:12)
- We are committed to preaching the whole counsel of God's Word (Acts 20:26-27)
- We preach it with authority and application (Matthew 7:28-29; James 1:22-25)
- Giving PRAISE to God in spirit and truth. (John 4:23-24)
- We believe biblical worship involves the spirit, the body, and the emotions
- We believe worship should be culturally relevant
- We believe worship should be biblically and historically rooted
- WALKING in fellowship with one another. (Acts 2:42, 44)
- We are committed to practicing the 'one anothers' in the Scriptures
- We believe biblical fellowship is built and that significant spiritual growth takes place in the context of loving, accountable relationships (such as small groups)
- We actively practice biblical conflict resolution to protect fellowship
- Building the body as each part does its WORK. (Ephesians 4:11-12, 16)
- We believe every genuine Christ-follower has been given spiritual gifts for serving
- We believe that working for Christ in the church promotes spiritual growth in the Christ-follower
- We believe 'each part doing its work' expands the ministry of the church
- Striving to WIN as many as possible to faith in Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 9:19; Colossians 4:2-6)
- Because unbelievers are important to Jesus, they are also important to us
- We spread the Word of God through relational evangelism and preaching the gospel
- We are committed to serving the poor and raising up new church leaders through global partnerships
What We Believe
We confess our unity with the Church global and the apostolic faith that has been believed and practiced since its founding. We believe:
- The Scriptures, both Old and New Testaments, to be the inspired Word of God, without error in the original writings, the complete revelation of His will for the salvation of men and the Divine and final authority for Christian faith and life.
- In one God, Creator of all things, infinitely perfect and eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- That Jesus Christ is true God and true man, having been conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. He died on the cross, a sacrifice for our sins according to the Scriptures. Further, He arose bodily from the dead, ascended into heaven, where at the right hand of the Majesty on High, He now is our High Priest and Advocate.
- That the ministry of the Holy Spirit is to glorify the Lord Jesus Christ and, during this age, to convict men; regenerate the believing sinner; and indwell, guide, instruct, and empower the believer for godly service.
- That mankind was created in the image of God to fill the earth and make it a better place for the glory of God; that in His creative wisdom He made mankind to be male and female; and that His design for marriage is for a man to leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife.
- That the human race followed Satan, fell into sin and is therefore lost; and that only through regeneration by the Holy Spirit can salvation and spiritual life be obtained.
- That the shed blood of Jesus Christ and His resurrection provide the only ground for justification and salvation for all who believe; and that only such as receive Jesus Christ are born of the Holy Spirit and thus become children of God.
- That water baptism and Communion are to be observed by the Church during the present age. They are, however, not to be regarded as a means of salvation.
- That the true Church is composed of all such persons who through saving faith in Jesus Christ have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit and are united together in the Body of Christ, of which He is the Head.
- That only those who are thus members of the true Church shall be eligible for membership in the local church.
- That Jesus Christ is the Lord and Head of the Church and that every local church has the right under Christ to decide and govern its own affairs.
- In the personal and imminent coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and that this “blessed hope” has a vital bearing on the personal life and service of the believer.
- In the bodily resurrection of the dead, of the believer to everlasting blessedness and joy with the Lord, and of the unbeliever to everlasting conscious punishment.